Talk to us today in confidence0800 970053907833 240747

Can I issue a winding up petition?

Written by Keith Steven Managing Director 1 April 2022

Can I issue a winding up petition?

I am owed thousands of pounds by a customer. What is a winding up petition and what will it cost me? 

If you are owed money by a customer then there are a range of actions that you can take in order to recover the debt. Issuing a winding up petition is perhaps the most powerful weapon in any creditor's armoury. You effectively petition the court to issue a winding up order against the company. A hearing date will be set and the debtor informed. However it should only be used as a last resort. There are a number of things to consider if you go down this route.

The debt must be absolutely proven. Any arguments about quality of product, pricing, accounting errors must be ironed out. If the court finds that the debt is not proven then you could end up paying costs and the petition dismissed. Also it can be deemed an "abuse of process".  You must also give 21 days notice to the debtor and try and come to an arrangement to pay.

Have you tried all other means to collect the debt? This does not necessarily mean using all the other remedies ie CCJ, Statutory Demand etc but you have to be seen to have given the debtor plenty of opportunity to pay. By issuing a petition you are, in effect, saying that the company CANNOT pay its debts so it should be wound up ie liquidated and remaining money distributed to the creditors.

You do not have an ulterior motive. i.e you are a competitor and you are simply looking to knock over the company. This is important as even if the company does owe you the money the court does have to look at the position of the other creditors. If the debtor puts forward a proposal to restructure the company and pay a dividend to all the unsecured creditors via a CVA then it has been held that one creditor cannot override the others. The relevant case was:

Re Dollar Land (Feltham) & Ors [1995] BCC 740 reported that the court decided that a winding-up order should be rescinded if there was a real prospect that CVA proposals would be approved by the company's creditors. In other words let the CVA majority decide.

I see what you are saying but I still want to go ahead. How do I go about it?

The first step is to look at the cost of collection. You will need to instruct a solicitor to issue the winding up petition and pay a court filing fee. All this is likely to add up to nearly £2000 so it best reserved for large debts. If you have not instructed a solicitor, then please call us on 08009700539 - we can recommend some to you.

Gather all the necessary evidence to prove the debt.

Decide what your negotiating stance is going to be. The reason for this is that a petition on its own does not do the real damage to the company. It may of course persuade them to pay you so that is a result. However, it is the advertisement of the petition in the London Gazette that does real damage even before the hearing date. 

The petition must be advertised no later than 7 days before the hearing date and no earlier than 7 days after service on the registered office. The Companies Court Winding Up List is published every week and shows every scheduled hearing. Please note: all scheduled winding up petition hearings are heard at court even if creditors have been paid in full by the company beforehand. The hearing will simply be heard and dismissed.

Once a petition is advertised the bank will freeze the company's account therefore they will not be able to pay you. Please read our page on winding up petitions to understand why this is done.The debtor may ask you to delay advertising the petition to give them time to pay you or even time to propose a restructuring. They may ask you to accept a partial payment in order to withdraw the petition. Their lawyers may simply be able to ask for an adjournement and the court may well accept. An adjournment can be for up to 90 days.

Categories: Winding Up Petition, Winding up petition

A Worried Director

The Ultimate Guide For Worried Directors

Worried about poor cashflow? Feel you have got into a bit of a mess? Covid-19?, How to pay wages on pay day? For reassuring advice on a range of issues download our free Ultimate Guide For Worried Directors today. Or just call us on 0800 9700539

"KSA Group which owns this site, will help you fix problems in your business. We won't charge for any initial advice or face to face meetings. We speak in English. We will save you money and your precious time.  You can come to any of our offices

"We also follow up any meeting with a full "solutions report" which runs on average to 13 pages valuable free advice!!  No other practitioner offers this service.  In this report we advise on ALL the options and explain them clearly.  We advise on a course of action given the information you have given us ( the more information we have the better we can advise!)"

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.