0800 9700539
Show Menu

I have received a 7 day warning letter from HMRC threatening a winding up petition. What now?"

HMRC Seven Day Warning Letter of a Petition

HMRC sends seven day warning letters in order to provoke a response from the debtor. This is designed to lead to a negotiation for payment of the debt.

The letter itself states that if the payment isn't made, the Solicitor of HM Revenue & Customs will present a petition to the High Court to wind up the company due to its insolvency or start other legal actions.

Attached to the letter will be a statement of liabilities outlining the debts this warning letter covers.

What is HMRC likely to do? They have a number of aggressive debt collection tools available:

HMRC Letter Click to View
  • Issue a County Court Summons to get a County Court Judgment

  • Send in a Revenue officer from their Field Force or send a Bailiff after a Notice of Enforcement

  • Issue a winding up petition following the letter. You must act quickly to rectify these issues as the petition must be advertised in the London/Belfast Gazette within seven business days of being issued. This can lead to the company's bank accounts being frozen and other creditors supporting the petition, therefore making it harder for the company to be salvaged as more organisations need to be paid.

    Please go to HMRC website about the HMRC 7 day warning letter


What should I do if I can't pay?

First things first, don't just ignore the letter – HMRC will take action if they don't receive a response.
The ideal way to solve this issue is to pay the debt. However, many companies are not in a position to do so.

Want to avoid all of this? There is a great solution for your company's problem called CVA or Company Voluntary Arrangement.  

A CVA is simply a deal between the insolvent company and its creditors; this deal places a legal ring fence, called a moratorium, around the company and stops creditors attacking the company.

It allows a viable but struggling company to repay some, or all, of its historic debts out of future profits, over a period of time to be agreed.

Directors stay in control of the company with KSA providing support. It can stop legal actions like HMRC actions or winding up petitions, if you use a quality, experienced advisor.

Further useful guides to CVA:

"Complete Expert's Guide" to the Company voluntary arrangement. Click for Keith Steven's unique, hugely detailed and comprehensive guide. All of Company Rescue's CVA guides and more in one 120 page PDF.

Company Voluntary Arrangement Detailed Guide - all you need to know about CVAs from framing the deal through to creditors' votes at the creditors meeting unique to KSA Group.

So what can HMRC do to collect its tax arrears?

They can issue:

- County Court Summons 
- County Court Judgement (CCJ)
- Bailiff actions or warrant 
- Notice of enforcement
- Winding Up Petition

Visit our page on creditors legal actions for definitions and advice for all the above.

The most important thing is really not to ignore the letter. If HMRC say they will take action in 7 days they usually will, whether it is by issuing a petition or by coming to your business to issue a notice of enforcement which results in them taking your stock or assets.  Generally speaking prompt action will help keep costs down as there are often additional charges added to your existing tax liabilities. This is particularly the case if HMRC employ an outside agency to collect any debts.

Do you want DIRECT, BESPOKE advice for your business? Call us on 08009700539

The browser you are using is Explorer 8 and this site is not compatible with this version. Please upgrade or switch, which is free, for a more secure and better browsing experience.Close